Monday, September 24, 2012

The Joys of Having A Self-Potty-Training Two Year Old

Yes, you read the title right. Bug is potty training himself. Yay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited that he's doing it and actually *wants* to do it. But, there are good and not-so-good things about him potty training himself. 

Good:

  • +He goes potty when he needs to go.
  • +He is always super proud of himself.
  • +"I did it!" when he's all done.
  • +He certainly looks cute in his super hero undies he got to pick out all by himself.
 Not-So-Good:

  • -Oops.
  • -Takes off his diaper when he feels like it, regardless of what is in it.
  • -My hall bathroom has been taken over by potty-related stuff.
  • -He's not the biggest fan of going #2 in the potty, yet.
  • -He does silly little things, like get his head stuck in his training seat. (First I freaked out, then I realized I should probably take a quick pic or two. Then it took me about 5 minutes to get this off his head. As soon as I took it off, he gave me a huge hug and started laughing. Oh, Bug...)
Let's play a little game of I Spy... with a photo I took of my bathroom a few minutes ago.
I Spy...
  • Batman undies
  • Green Lantern undies
  • Two diapers
  • Training toilet
  • Step-stool to wash hands
  • Toy box
  • Toy truck
  • Open toilet
  • Towel thrown on the ground
...Ladies and gentlemen, my bathroom.

Here's the thing, he's been self-potty-training since right before he turned two. He was at his grandma's house, and he decided to go. And go again. And again. I think in total, he went potty at her house 4 or 5 times in the few hours he was with her. All on his own, with no coaxing from her. He went #1 and #2 without a hitch. We were so excited, we got him pull-ups, we put a waterproof cover on his bed, pulled out his training toilet, and got him a training seat for regular toilets. It was awesome! Here was our little brand new 2 year old training himself to go potty with no push from Mom & Dad! He was doing so so well!

And then... Squidge was born. I knew a regression would happen when his little sister arrived, I just didn't think it would be so far back. He refused pull-ups, he wouldn't go potty at ALL anymore, and even asked us to put his training potty away. However, over the last 2-3 months, he's been starting up again, and over the last month, he's been doing REALLY well! There's still a huge fear of going #2. We had a tiny breakthrough the other day, but that was it. Hopefully we just keep moving forward and soon we won't have any more Buggy diapers to change!! It will be great to having only one baby in diapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment