Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Potato Chip Cokies

Okay, okay, before you question the title, me, or yourself for what you just read, YES! This does say potato chip cookies. I know! Don't say anything yet. Yes, they do go together. You know how you have those unlikely combination foods that just work? Usually it's a salty/sweet thing... French fries and milk shakes, salted caramel chocolate... and this is one of them.

My grandma used to make these when I was a kid, and from what she told me, her mom used to make these for her. They are delicious! Basically, they're like a thin butter cookie with a yummy little "something" that gives it a crunch.

I have seen a LOT of variations all over the place, but this is my grandma's recipe.

What you will need:

  • 4 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
  • 1~ish cups of coarsely crushed potato chips
  • 3 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract


First, cream your butter and sugar together.



It should look like soft and creamy mashed potatoes. Except it's butter and sugar.

Next! Add the vanilla.

And the flour. Slowly, or a little at a time. Because trying to mix that much flour with that much butter and sugar would end in a mushroom cloud and a kitchen covered in flour.
 

Once all that is mixed up, add the potato chips and fold them in.


Roll them in a 1 inch ball and place them on a cookie sheet, about 3 inches apart. I promise. 3 inches.

Then take the bottom of a glass, dip the glass in some granulated sugar, and smoosh the cookie ball until it's about 1/4 inch thick. After I did that, I dusted it with sugar sprinkles.

Put them in a 300 degree oven for 18-20 minutes, they should be golden around the edges, and light on top.

Use a spatula to remove them from the cookie sheet, and let them cool on a different surface. Most people use wire racks... but I'm not most people.


Let them cool, and enjoy!

This was my first time making them for my kids, and it was a hit! They love these cookies.

If you try this recipe, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to pin this on Pinterest, post your pics to instagram, and tweet about it on twitter! @itslikemusic, #ILMpotatochipcookies!!!

ProTip: Use regular potato chips. No flavored chips. That's just wrong. Also, I highly recommend using Ruffles... I used Lays today, because that's what I happened to have on hand, but Ruffles break easier, but they also stay crunchy, where Lays tend to melt into the cookie a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment